Google – Ya gotta love ’em! They practically own the Internet. If you want to be seen in searches, then you need to be connected on Google+. Of course, they don’t make it especially easy for the average Joe or Jody. Sure, it’s easy to open a gmail account but that’s just a start. If you have a blog, or other website, you need to establish authorship and link it to your Google Profile. If you search on how to do this, you may start to panic and your eyes might pop out. They want you to stick codes here and there on your website. Most non techie bloggers get deer in the headlights syndrome at that point.
I just discovered a wonderful free WordPress plugin to help make the job easier. It’s called Authorsure. I won’t go into detail on how to use it because the plugin site has some wonderful tutorials on video.
So why do you want to be connected to Google Plus?
Imagine someone doing a search for something you wrote about and your listing comes up like this.
Here are a few basic things you want to do.
- If you have a gmail account then you already have a Google login. If not, go to https://accounts.google.com/NewAccount
- Once you do that, you will notice on the top of your browser (on the far left side) the words YOU+. This is where you create your Google + Account. Upload your headshot and fill in the About Page at the very least. Include your domain email addresses because Google will want you to verify them. (Your email verification link may not show up right away. Check in a few minutes or even after a couple of days) Your domain email would be firstname.lastname@example.org (replace you with whatever your domain email address is.)
- Start putting people you know or want to know in your circles. Chances are, they will put you in their circles. Your goal is to have 100 people following you in circles on Google Plus. If you have under 100, only the people you are connected to on Google + will see your image in the searches. I learned this from an amazing SEO GUY.
- Post helpful tips and information about your niche in your status updates. Do this at least once a day or as much as you can. Suggestion: Don’t use Google Plus like Facebook. You can really establish yourself as an expert in your field on Google Plus. Leave the toga parties and other personal stuff on Facebook. Google + is great for consultants, experts, speakers, etc. Your status updates will show up in searches as well. (as mine did above)
- Go to www.gravatar.com and make sure all your email addresses are connected to your headshot. This helps your image show up on your blog. If you are using the author box method for the plugin Authorsure, you will especially need this. It will also bring up your image if you post on other people’s blogs.
- On your Google Plus profile look at the contributor section on the About page. You will be linking either your website ABOUT page or your author page.(you would use an author page especially if there are multiple authors) Make sure your link url is correct. If your website starts with www then use http://www.yourdomain.com/about. If not use http://yourdomain.com/about. Include all the sites you are a contributor on. (that you want people to find)
There are scores of other Google applications you can connect with. The more the merrier. That includes Google Apps, YouTube, and MORE
Have you been GOOGLE-IZED yet? If you liked this post PLEASE feel free to Tweet and Share.