I remember several years ago, when the Internet was still fairly young, hearing about blogs. (short for weblog) Blogs came into existence in 1997. I had no idea what that meant. The original explanation was that a blog was something other than a website in which you wrote journal entries about your life. At the time I couldn’t understand why anyone would want to do that and wondered who would read it anyway?
Blogs have completely evolved to become the website of choice. Yes, they actually are websites. More and more people are taking down their expensive and non functional static sites in favor of converting them into WordPress blogs. Yet, there are still many people who do not understand the power that a blog has for promoting just about any type of business.
There are still blogs out there that are simply for the sake of someone who wants to spout off nonsense and see their name on the Internet. That’s okay, but nowadays, anyone who has a small business needs a blog to help promote their product or services. Here are 10 reasons why.
- A blog helps a small business owner distinguish themselves from their competition. By adding content on a regular basis a business owner is able to create relationships, develop expert status and have a voice, (as Colin Firth would say)
- A blog is interactive and encourages others to connect and respond. A static website basically just sits there. WordPress plug-ins allows the blog site owner to network with other social media sites and potential clients. It is home base and all of your other social networking is directed toward it.
- A blog gets natural Google traffic. If you research your keywords carefully and find out what type of information people are looking for in your niche, Google will be attracted to you. This saves tons of money in purchasing pay per click campaigns or doing other types of expensive advertising. The more content you add the more free traffic you will get.
- A blog is a money saving device. You can spend thousands creating a graphically pleasing website, or you can have a dynamic and functional blog for hundreds. (If you require assistance) Most business owners are looking for ways to cut overhead. A blog accomplishes that and much more.
- A blog is a way to create additional sources of income. Relying on one income stream means you are working by appointment and working hard. Many income streams create your lifestyle. On a blog you are able to promote your product, the products of others (affiliate products), announce events, do joint ventures, have a store, develop celebrity status, and much more.
- A blog gives you freedom of location. Do business sitting in Starbucks or in a café in Paris. I am definitely working on the Paris thing.
- Blogs give you control over your website. I have seen many business owners frustrated by the fact that they want to make a small change on their site, but have to wait for and pay a webmaster to do it. Once your blog is up and running, it is easy to go into your back office and put that comma in or correct that typo.
- Blogs get your name out to the global community and not just the local community. What happened to businesses in New Orleans when Katrina struck? Well, unless they were online, they sank in the flood. It is not wise to base your entire business on one local area. If disaster strikes that area you may lose your business.
- The modern “blog” is really just an easy to use “content management system” or CMS. It organizes your content and collects leads (via an opt in box or contact form) of prospective clients who are highly targeted for your business.
- If you get bored with the look of your blog or change your branding, all you have to do is pop on another theme. There are thousands of free and premium themes available.
Some may say:
Well sounds good, but I don’t have the time to look at all the online videos to figure out how to get my blog up and running and I’m not very technical. Why should I bother?
Review the list above for the answers to that question. We help those who are busy or techno phobic get their blogs up and running fast and hold your hand until you are ready to fly by yourself. We also help you strategise how to market your individual business, which is essential to having a successful blog.
Blogs are a highly valuable tool for small business owners. Make sure you have one. Check out our services HERE.
Please leave a comment and tweet and share this post.